Friday, August 15, 2008

Sewing Classes

Okay - Julie and I decided to take sewing classes from Niler. We thought this would be a great time to learn how to use our machines and read a pattern so maybe we can sew somethings on our own. Julie and I are both fortunate enough to have gotten sewing machines from family. Julie got Mema's sewing machine and I got Matt's mom's sewing machine. We knew they were old but Niler called them antique. So..... our first class was quite an experience. To start the class off, Niler asks us to turn our machines on. Well, Julie and I couldn't find our on/off switch so Niler came over and said "You don't have one - your machines are just on when you plug them in." Okay. So then she showed everyone where their light switch was on the machine. Once again, our machines' lights were already on. Oh...... we don't have a switch - the light comes on automatically when we plug the machine on. As she does an introduction to the machines, everyone is finding the different parts on their machine. At SEVERAL points she just looked at Julie and I and said - don't worry about looking, your machine doesn't have one! Julie and I just kept laughing. Finally it was time to thread the machine. As everyone is following Niler's instructions - Julie and I got more and more lost bc our machines of course were not like everyone else's. Finally Niler pulled up a chair between us and started trying to read our manuals (that were decaying :). Good news, Niler got both our machines up and working. So Julie and I sat back and just sighed a relief. (the $75 dollars for the class was not refundable) Anyway, Julie and I would look at each other and just laugh as we were practicing our sewing on scrap pieces of material. Julie's pedal to her sewing machine is like a button so we kept getting tickeled because she was having a hard time keeping it pressed. Her whole foot had to come off the ground to push it. Luckily mine was a typical sewing pedal. We then learned how to reverse to finish a stitch. My reverse button is not a lever like everyone else but a button. I have to push it in and hold it in to reverse. This button takes both hands to press so I am sewing without guiding the material. Julie, on the other hand, was given a homework assignment - read her manual and FIND her reverse button (not even Niler could find it). At this point Julie and I are about to wet our pants with laughter. So as we try to keep composed, Niler tells us that instead of picking out a pattern on our own (Julie and I had already gotten excited over picking a pattern but not any more) she was going to give us a pattern and the whole class was going to do the same thing. As Julie and I are listening, she then goes on about how we are making vests. VESTS????? Did I hear that right? Why would I make a vest? When would I wear it? Trying to keep from laughing out loud - she goes on to say that it will be reversible and that one side should be nice so we can wear it to church! Church???? We would be lucky if it even looks like a vest when we finish - much less would I wear a vest to church. At this point, I am praying Julie doesn't look at me. We are both laughing quietly and I can see her shoulders shaking with laughter. If she had turned and looked at me we would have both lost it! I am sure I would have wet my pants! I am laughing so hard right now thinking about it that I am crying. Matt just asked me what I was doing that was so funny. Oh you just had to be there. So on our way out, Niler said she enjoyed a challenge and was looking forward to working with our antique machines. She also gave us extra scraps of material for extra practice. Whew.... we made it through our first class.





So with great excitement, Julie and I went and got our fabric on Tuesday. We went straight for the sale rack and we will never wear these vests again. We definitely found some material that we thought would be funny (tacky) but decided to go with something not so bad so we don't offend Niler.





We go back on Monday and start on our vests. I will be sure to take a picture of us wearing our $75 vests when we finish. I can't wait to Monday and the joy it will bring me.

Other people's machines - Aren't they nice?


Julie's machine on the left and mine on the right - don't they look nice?


My machine!

7 comments:

Marylu said...

My first sewing lesson was when Lauren and Landon were babies- so I can relate. I think I enjoyed the respite from 24/7 baby cries and feedings more than the sewing.(Thanks, Nana) I can't wait to see the finished products on this blog!

Clh03uga said...

UM...this is too funny! It doesn't take much explanation to realized that this is probably THE funniest thing the two of you could ever do! I'm so proud. Next time I come over, I want to borrow the vest and we'll all go out. :)

Anonymous said...

I know how creative the two of you can be judging by the unique gag gift I received from you two....the very absorbant slippers.

Anonymous said...

WHAT A HOOT!

Anonymous said...

Found my reverse button. Hoorah. Ready to take charge on monday night.

Anonymous said...

Best laugh I've had in a while. Great story! Can't wait to see the vests.

Anonymous said...

sewing lessons still going on????